Instability Problems

Topics: Bug Report
Sep 12, 2007 at 8:59 AM
Hi All,

I've just found out about Poshconsole and have downloaded the latest release. I'm seeing a significant amount of instability (hangs and crashes) and wanted to know if this is expected at this stage of development (being an alpha release, I'm not expecting perfection!) or if I've got something weird in my setup that's causing problems.

Getting totally reproducable errors isn't easy, so I'm gussing it's down to threading issues etc, but for example I've just run a new poshconsole and entered "dir" three times. The first two worked, giving me the expected directory listing. The third has given the listing but has then hung without displaying the prompt for the next command. It hung for about 2.5 mins before returning with a bunch of "Timeout (x of 5) - Console Busy" errors. After that, it just stops responding until I hit escape, at which point the screen clears and I can enter new input. That would be fine, but when I do enter someinthg, it crashes with an ArgumentException, the message in the exception being "TextPointer is not in the TextTree associated with this object". Baring loading up the debugger to get the exception message, I've not looked any further.

My system is Vista RTM, plus I've got Visual Studio 2008 Beta 2 installed so I do have the beta version of .Net 3.5. I'm guessing that the problems are down to my environment rather than Poshconsole, since I'm finding it pretty much unusale whereas judging from the other comments other folk are having more luck.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers,

Steve
Coordinator
Sep 12, 2007 at 6:50 PM
Well, that does sound like you're having more problems than usual, but the console control is especially beta right now, which means that when something goes wrong, I'm frequently ending up in a position where I can't tell what you typed... which is what happened with that "TextTree" message.

There are definitely issues with trying to execute commands "rapid fire" (in other words: don't try to stress test the speed of repeating commands -- we will fail, but we know that).

Anyway. I think I've mostly fixed that in my current code, and I was just about ready to release when I started trying to fix the hotkeys feature and got mired down in a bog. I should be getting that out this weekend, but to be honest this is going to go slowly for a few weeks because I have some very important "real world" work :D
Sep 13, 2007 at 7:40 AM
Cool - looking forward to the next drop then! If I'm still seeing more than my fair share of problems then, I'll fire up the debugger and have a closer look.