Problems with Community Preview (Alpha) 2007.7310

Topics: Bug Report
Aug 1, 2007 at 3:11 AM
Edited Aug 1, 2007 at 3:43 AM
I'm using Windows Vista Ultimate, PSCE 1.1.1 and release Community Preview (Alpha) 2007.7310 of PoshConsole.

Everything related to PSCE 1.1.1 seems OK.

Here are problems I encountered while using PoshConsole:
  1. PoshConsole is not aware of my default PowerShell profile (Microsoft.PowerShell_profile.ps1)
  2. Typing 'exit' won't quit PoshConsole. After having typed 'exit', PoshConsole doesn't react anymore. I have to stop the process to quit PoshConsole.
  3. When threshold bigger than the number of available options, it's impossible to cycle through every option offered by tab completion without invoking tab-complete menu every two tab.
  4. Options in tab-complete menu don't appear to be sorted.
Aug 1, 2007 at 4:06 PM
Edited Aug 1, 2007 at 4:06 PM
ad 1) Microsoft.Powershell_profile is so-called host-specific profile, ie. it is called only by the Microsoft's PowerShell.exe. A host-neutral profile is stored in profile.ps1 file. You can learn more about the profiles on http://www.leeholmes.com/blog/TheStoryBehindTheNamingAndLocationOfPowerShellProfiles.aspx

PoshConsole-specific profile should be stored in Huddled.PoshConsole_profile.ps1. BTW, PoshConsole also supports an "exit" profile, which is called Huddled.PoshConsole_profile_exit.ps1
Aug 1, 2007 at 5:30 PM
Thank you for the info. I was missing the part binding $profile to powershell.exe and obviously didn't put the PoshConsole ps1 files in my $profileDir folder.

Also, thank you for that very promising console.
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2007 at 5:24 PM

seb wrote:
  1. Typing 'exit' won't quit PoshConsole. After having typed 'exit', PoshConsole doesn't react anymore. I have to stop the process to quit PoshConsole.

I have noticed that as I have more and more commands in my history, the "exit" process takes longer and longer (because my exit profile exports the command history to csv). I've modified the process there to let you know immediately that we've acknowledged your command and are exiting... hopefully this is all you're experiencing too.

NOTE: If you go over 100 items in your history, the exit script is only saving the OLDEST 100 instead of the newest. I'll fix that in the next release.

1. When threshold bigger than the number of available options, it's impossible to cycle through every option offered by tab completion without invoking tab-complete menu every two tab.

That was by design: I put a "double-tap" option to pop up that menu if you tab twice quickly ... but my idea of "quickly" was within 1 second of each other -- in practice I've already realized this is actually very slow. I'm going to make double-tap time settable and default it to something much shorter (you'll be able to set it to ZERO to avoid the feature entirely).

1. Options in tab-complete menu don't appear to be sorted.

That's correct: they are in whatever order they are given to me. That is: the current tab-complete adds paths, commands, and the output of your tabexpansion script ... in whatever order they're found. I've been debating this back and forth. At first I thought that leaving them in that order would give you the most likely answers first, plus would group them by 'type' (commands, file-system, etc) ... but after using it for a while I think that I want it to behave more like intellitype --* I'm going to sort the tab-complete menu* and try to allow you to CONTINUE typing instead of having to start over (and possibly add some type icons?).
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2007 at 5:26 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Coordinator
Aug 8, 2007 at 5:28 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.