CTRL+C copies, but what "breaks" ?

Topics: Bug Report, Feature Request, Native App Support
Aug 16, 2007 at 1:52 PM
How do I "break" as in the traditional command-line use of CTRL+C? I can't get a "DIR" listing to stop...

As an aside, this long DIR listing (system32) eventually slows down and posh starts eating like 60% CPU before finally completing.

Also, if I CTRL+C a ping.exe, it just closes the whole window instead of breaking out of the ping and returning to a prompt.

I really like this app, though!!! I can't wait until it's production-ready.

Here's a commercial version doing the same thing, but I'm sure it will be pricey and won't be community driven or supported like this effort can be. But you might find some ideas anyway... http://www.powershell.com/plus
Coordinator
Aug 17, 2007 at 1:40 PM
Edited Aug 17, 2007 at 1:52 PM
The key is ESC, it was supposed to be settable in this release, but I forgot.

I'm not seeing the closing of the window you describe... although I do see that if I terminate a command I don't get a new prompt (whoops -- that's my copy-paste mistake from taking just a subset of Jachymko's changes).

And yes, I'm aware of PS+ and have seen the video ... it looks pretty cool, and I doubt we'll ever get around to a debugger on PoshConsole, but just wait until you see out-wpf ;-)

This discussion has been copied to a few work items.
Click here or here to go to the work items and continue the discussion.

Aug 20, 2007 at 1:45 PM
ESCAPE! Excellent... my life is easier now. I can terminate those too-long DIR requests...

New issue. I am loving quake mode. I honestly didn't know what you meant by "quake" mode until I tried it. Cool way to do the UI. However, when I execute command line EXEs (as opposed to cmdlets) it auto-hides immediately. Ping is a good example, again.

I really don't care about the advanced programming thingies like debuggers. I'm a "printf" debugging kinda admin. I just want a nice solid UI with all the modern conventions (such as ctrl+c), mousability, good looking. Posh looks like it fills that need nicely!
Coordinator
Aug 21, 2007 at 2:58 PM
Edited Aug 21, 2007 at 3:05 PM
Oh, hmm, I've captured that as a workitem, but that's a weird one -- I guess that subconsciously it's switching focus to the hidden native console window to run those ... thus loosing focus and hiding.

We should be able to work past that by not autohiding if there's a native pipe active, but that's a little bit hacky unless we just don't ever autohide while any pipe is active. I'll have a look, and in the worst case scenario, I'll put a (defaulted ON) setting in to enable a "don't hide while native pipe" option.

Anyway, with all that said, for now you could just use it the way I do: instead of using the autohide, set it to hide deliberately only. If you turn off autohide, it should still hide if you press the focuskey while you're still focused on PoshConsole.